Shredded Barbecue Chicken over Grits Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with pepper; place in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup broth, barbecue sauce, molasses, chili pepper and cinnamon; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Shred meat with two forks and return to the skillet.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and remaining broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits and pumpkin. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
- 4. Divide grits among six serving bowls; top each with 1/2 cup chicken mixture. Serve with tomato, sour cream, green onions and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 345 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 718 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.