- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper; place in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup broth, barbecue sauce, molasses, chili pepper and cinnamon; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Shred meat with two forks and return to the skillet.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and remaining broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits and pumpkin. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Divide grits among six serving bowls; top each with 1/2 cup chicken mixture. Serve with tomato, sour cream, green onions and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Shredded Barbecue Chicken over Grits
"I am new to grits & really enjoyed this recipe, I used a sweeter BBQ sauce but loved the zip from the ancho chilli & pepper jack, this was a little too spicy for my daughter most found it the perfect balance of flavors, will definitely make this a regular on our menu!"
"Delicious!! And pretty easy to put together."
"I substituted 1 TB of chili powder for the ancho chili pepper. I don't even know what an ancho chili pepper is! Also, I did not like the grits, but my husband did. I fixed a side of plain rice and put my chicken on top of that instead of the grits. I used Sweet Baby Ray's for the Barbeque Sauce. The chicken has a great flavor. The dinner was really good!!"
"This has become a new family favorite! The flavors blend together wonderfully. Fabulous dish!"
"My husband thought that it was "interesting". The kids didn't care for it. However, I thought it was delicious. I will be making it again regardless of the rest of my family's qualms."