Shredded Barbecue Beef
"I work for the Delaware Department of Transportation and prepare this simple dish during storm emergencies or for lunch get-togethers," reports field editor Jan Walls of Camden.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 5 pounds), halved
- 3 tablespoons liquid smoke, optional
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 12 sandwich rolls, split
- Combine the celery salt, garlic powder and onion powder; rub over
- brisket. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine liquid smoke if
- desired and hot pepper sauce; pour over brisket. Cover and cook on
- low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef and cool slightly. Discard all but 1/2 cup cooking
- juices; whisk barbecue sauce into cooking juices. Shred meat with
- two forks; return to slow cooker and mix well. Heat through. Serve
- about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each roll. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 387 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 905 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot