Show-Off Salad Recipe
People tell me they can't stay away from this fresh-tasting salad, with its layers of lettuce, green pepper, cucumber, macaroni, hard-cooked eggs, ham and more. Mustard and pepper give a little zip to the creamy mayonnaise dressing. -C. Neomi Drummond, Des Moines, Iowa
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham, optional
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat.
- 2. Place lettuce in a shallow 3-qt. dish; top with the green pepper, cucumber, macaroni, eggs, cabbage, red onion, carrots, ham if desired, peas and cheese.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the Miracle Whip, sour cream, 1/4 cup of green onions, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper; spread over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining green onions. Yield: 16-18 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 200 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC