- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham, optional
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat.
- Place lettuce in a shallow 3-qt. dish; top with the green pepper, cucumber, macaroni, eggs, cabbage, red onion, carrots, ham if desired, peas and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the Miracle Whip, sour cream, 1/4 cup of green onions, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper; spread over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining green onions. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Reviews for Show-Off Salad
"This is so good. Lots of fresh veggies and a different dressing. A keeper!"
"I love this salad and so do my friend's! It's interesting how layering the ingredient's makes it taste so different than a traditional macaroni salad. The cold macaroni on the bottom keeps the entire salad chilled, I think that is one reason it is so cool and refreshing to eat. =) Yum !"
"This is amazing and so delicious! Travels well, too. Sometimes I substitute regular mustard and prepared horseradish if I am out of horseradish mustard. I have seen people fight over leftovers. haha"
"This salad is one my family absolutely loves and we make it every chance we get. It's so good, it's a keeper for sure and definitely going in my recipe box."
"I can't really add to the previous comments. My daughter loved it. So much more colorful than most other macaroni salads, with the added plus of saving time as it is made ahead."
"I've made this several times, and it's delicious. I leave out the eggs, since my son doesn't like them, and serve them sliced on the side for people who do. The last time I prepared it the dressing on top ran out before the rest of it was gone, so I made half of the dressing recipe and spread over the salad that was left. I now consider this a recipe that I'll definitely make several times a year."
"I made this eye-catching pasta salad twice recently for family get-togethers. It travels beautifully. As soon as the first serving is spooned up, the rest goes quickly and eaters rave about the taste. It's definitely a successful recipe."