Fresh strawberries, instant pudding and Twinkies make this shortcake fast and flavorful. "Even my son-in-law, who usually doesn't like dessert, enjoys this one," says Jo Smith of Camden, Arkansas.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (15 ounces) cream-filled sponge cakes
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Additional strawberries, halved, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand
- for 2 minutes or until soft-set; set aside. Slice sponge cakes in
- half lengthwise; place filling side up in an ungreased 13-in. x
- 9-in. dish. Spread pudding over the top.
- Arrange sliced strawberries over pudding. Spread whipped topping over
- berries. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting.
- Garnish with strawberry halves if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 12-15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 215 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.