- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup salsa
- Dash instant coffee granules
- Heat rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and green pepper; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in kielbasa, salt, garlic powder, pepper and, if desired, cayenne; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until kielbasa is browned.
Add tomatoes, salsa and coffee granules; heat through. Stir in rice.
Freeze option: Do not heat or add rice. Freeze cooled meat mixture in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat rice according to package directions. Place meat mixture in a large skillet; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Proceed as directed. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Shortcut Sausage Jambalaya
"This is my kind of recipe. As a field editor, I loved how quickly it come together, the use of packaged rice and the use of coffee to tone down the sweet of the tomatoes and to add a deeper flavor, but since we like ours just a bit juicier, I added cold brewed coffee instead of the instant granules, with the same success. I also used both red and green peppers for added color. Another favorite has been added to my list."