Shortcut Minestrone Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, broth and beans. Bring to a boil. Add the pasta, brown sugar, basil and oregano. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Add green beans; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with reserved bacon and Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Shortcut Minestrone(4)
Sort By :
I used orzo pasta and to me, it didn't have minestrone flavor until I added the Parmesan cheese. Omitted the bacon, used grape seed oil instead.
Hearty and full of flavor! It is even better that Olive Garden's!!!
Very easy and wonderful winter time recipe that is a hit in my house.
My family loved this soup. I didn't have small shells noodles and used broken up pieces of spaghetti noodles instead.