Shortcut Minestrone Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, broth and beans. Bring to a boil. Add the pasta, brown sugar, basil and oregano. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Add green beans; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with reserved bacon and Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Shortcut Minestrone
Sort By :
"I have made this recipe several times. It is wonderful just as written."
"DH doesn't like minestrone, but I think it's good enough to bring to fellowship. I used Barilla veggie macaroni.. Omitted the bacon, used grape seed oil instead."
"Hearty and full of flavor! It is even better that Olive Garden's!!!"
"My family loved this soup. I didn't have small shells noodles and used broken up pieces of spaghetti noodles instead."