Shortcut Bread Mix
Versatile is the word for this terrific time-saving mix from Lois Fleming of Monroeville, Pennsylvania. It's the basis for a dough that can be baked into a tender loaf of lightly sweet bread or shaped into 18 delicious dinner rolls. It's also used to make the other two tasty recipes on this page.
80 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- BREAD MIX:
- 5 pounds all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 7-1/2 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR BASIC LOAF:
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) quick-rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine bread mix ingredients with a wire whisk.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6
- months. Yield: 20 cups (enough to make about 5 basic loaves or
- Cinnamon Nut Loaves or 10 Homemade Pizza crusts).
- To prepare a basic loaf: In a bowl, combine 1 cup bread mix and
- yeast. Add water, egg and butter; beat until smooth. Stir in 2-1/2
- to 3 cups additional bread mix to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a loaf;
- place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Place a heat-proof bowl
- on work surface; fill half full with boiling water. Cover bowl with