Shortcake for 50
Folks are always impressed to see these individual shortcakes on the buffet table. They're surprisingly easy to make.—Clara Honeyager, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
50 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 10-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 8 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2-1/4 cups sugar, baking powder and
- salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in cream and water just
- until moistened.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at
- 450° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- Combine berries and remaining sugar.
- To serve, cut shortcakes horizontally; spoon about 1/3 cup berries
- and whipped cream on bottom halves. Replace tops; top with another
- 1/3 cup of berries and additional cream. Yield: 50 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 270 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 449 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.