Shortbread Sandwich Cookies Recipe
Crafters of all ages will enjoy these cookies, according to subscriber Bertha Seyer of Oak Ridge, Missouri. In fact, keep the recipe on hand after you serve them. Folks are sure to ask how they can make their own!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1-1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1. Place ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Using a cookie press fitted with a ribbon disk, press dough into 2-in.-long ribbons on chilled baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Dissolve coffee in hot water; add to creamed mixture and mix until smooth. Spread 1/2 teaspoon filling on the bottom of one cookie; top with another cookie to form a sandwich. Repeat.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off and then in nonpareils. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC