Shortbread Ornament Cookies Recipe
These buttery shortbread cookie ornaments are almost too pretty to eat! You can use cookie cutters in shapes of your choice. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling YIELD:40 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Colored edible glitter and nonpareils
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water and extracts until mixture forms a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For icing, in a large bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar and milk. Divide into small bowls; tint with food coloring if desired. Gently spread over cookies. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 133 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC