I found this recipe in a magazine over 30 years ago and have made the cutouts for Christmas ever since. Four ingredients make them an oh-so-simple recipe to whip up during the hectic holidays.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Colored sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar
- until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Transfer dough to a
- clean work surface; knead gently to form a smooth dough, about 2
- minutes. (Mixture will be very crumbly at first, but will come
- together and form a dough as it's kneaded.)
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion between two sheets of waxed
- paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2- to 3-in. cookie
- cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. If desired,
- sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks
- to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.