I've heard that these tender ribs and cornmeal dumplings were typical chuck-wagon fare for cowboys on the trail. I like making them for me and my husband, Bud, on cold rainy days. Our house smells so inviting when these ribs are simmering on the stove. -Evelyn Hynd, Gravette, Arkansas
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash pepper
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Cut ribs into 1-in. pieces. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef in oil on all sides. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup broth, soy sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- For dumplings, combine the water, cornmeal and salt in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened; remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Combine flour, baking powder and pepper; stir into cornmeal mixture. Stir in corn.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls into simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes (do not lift lid) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Short Ribs with Dumplings in Taste of Home August/September 1996, p27
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Short Ribs with Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review