This is one of my dad's most irresistible dishes. It has a flavorful broth, tender meat and colorful vegetables. It really hits the spot on a chilly fall or winter day.—Art Winter, Trumbull, Connecticut
Recommended: Your February Meal Plan
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) lima beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Drain beans, reserving liquid; set beans aside. Place the liquid in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces and return to kettle. Add beans and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Short Rib Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p47
Reviews for Short Rib Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 19, 2012
"Have made this twice and it was a hit both times. Will freeze some this time for those winter days I do not want to cook."