Short Rib Soup Recipe
This is one of my dad's most irresistible dishes. It has a flavorful broth, tender meat and colorful vegetables. It really hits the spot on a chilly fall or winter day.Art Winter, Trumbull, Connecticut
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) lima beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Drain beans, reserving liquid; set beans aside. Place the liquid in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces and return to kettle. Add beans and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Short Rib Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p47
Reviews for Short Rib Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 19, 2012
Have made this twice and it was a hit both times. Will freeze some this time for those winter days I do not want to cook.