- 1 pound well-trimmed boneless beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock, divided
- 1/4 cup Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 3 cups frozen french-fried potatoes (about 11 ounces)
- 1 cup cheese curds or 4 ounces white cheddar cheese, broken into small chunks
- Toss short ribs with flour and pepper, shaking off excess; reserve remaining flour mixture. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown ribs on all sides. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker, reserving drippings.
- In same skillet, saute onion in drippings over medium heat until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup stock; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk reserved flour mixture, chili sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and remaining stock until smooth; stir into onion mixture. Pour over ribs.
- Cook, covered, on low until ribs are tender, 6-8 hours. Remove ribs; shred with two forks and keep warm. Skim fat from onion mixture; puree using an immersion blender. (Or, cool slightly and puree in a blender; return to slow cooker to heat through.)
- Cook potatoes according to package directions. Serve beef over potatoes; top with gravy and cheese Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Short Rib Poutine in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Short Rib Poutine
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review