- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds well-trimmed boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-1/2-in. pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef stock
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- COBBLER TOPPING:
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dip short ribs in flour mixture to coat all sides; shake off excess.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion, chopped carrot and celery; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato paste and remaining flour until blended. Gradually stir in stock and wine until smooth. Return beef to pan; stir in poultry seasoning, bay leaf and remaining salt. Bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, 1-3/4 hours. Stir in pearl onions and carrot pieces. Bake, covered, 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and onions are tender. Skim fat and remove bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, mix biscuit mix and milk just until a soft dough forms. Drop by scant 1/4 cupfuls over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Sprinkle with thyme. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Short Rib Cobbler
Sort By :
I had some extra biscuits in the freezer, and this was the perfect recipe to put the leftovers on top. I could not find boneless short ribs, so I used a roast instead. The sauce is what makes this dish, and the smell while it cooks is wonderful!
very easy to make and very tasty