- all sides; shake off excess.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Brown beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion, chopped
- carrot and celery; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato paste and remaining
- flour until blended. Gradually stir in stock and wine until smooth.
- Return beef to pan; stir in poultry seasoning, bay leaf and
- remaining salt. Bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, 1-3/4 hours. Stir in pearl onions and carrot pieces.
- Bake, covered, 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and onions are
- tender. Skim fat and remove bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, mix biscuit mix and milk just until a soft dough
- forms. Drop by scant 1/4 cupfuls over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered,
- 40-45 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Sprinkle with
- thyme. Yield: 8 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.