Shoofly Pie Recipe
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove foil; brush crust with egg yolk. Bake 5 minutes longer; cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses, egg, flour and baking soda; gradually add boiling water. Cool to room temperature; pour into prepared crust.
- 3. For topping, in a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 483 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 432mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Shoofly Pie
"Recipe was wonderful! Couldn't figure out what you meant about "lining pastry" at first and nearly gave up; then I decided to go for it and lined it with another pie pan and cover the edges with a protector. THIS pie IS EXCELLENT! No over spilling or mess (even though I put a cookie sheet underneath just in case). Just wonderful all around. Thanks for sharing :)"
"The pie Exploded all over the place"
"This is very good. I will be making this one from now on. Awesome!!!!"