Shoofly Pie Recipe
My grandmother made the best Shoofly Pie in the tradition of the Pennsylvania Dutch. Shoofly pie is to the Pennsylvania Dutch as Pecan Pie is to a southerner. —Mark Morgan, Waterford, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove foil; brush crust with egg yolk. Bake 5 minutes longer; cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses, egg, flour and baking soda; gradually add boiling water. Cool to room temperature; pour into prepared crust.
- 3. For topping, in a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 483 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 432 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC