- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove foil; brush crust with egg yolk. Bake 5 minutes longer; cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses, egg, flour and baking soda; gradually add boiling water. Cool to room temperature; pour into prepared crust.
- For topping, in a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Shoofly Pie
"Recipe was wonderful! Couldn't figure out what you meant about "lining pastry" at first and nearly gave up; then I decided to go for it and lined it with another pie pan and cover the edges with a protector. THIS PIE IS EXCELLENT! No over spilling or mess (even though I put a cookie sheet underneath just in case). Just wonderful all around. Thanks for sharing :)"
"The Pie Exploded all over the place"
"This is very good. I will be making this one from now on. Awesome!!!!"