These moist old-fashioned molasses cupcakes were my grandmother's specialty. To keep them from disappearing too quickly, she used to store them out of sight. Somehow, we always figured out her hiding places!
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar
- and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping.
- Add baking soda to remaining crumb mixture. Stir in water and
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with reserved
- crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 248 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.