A sugar crumb topping lends to this moist coffee cake's appeal. The rich molasses flavor really shines through. Slices are good served warm or at room temperature.
- 2 cups buttermilk pancake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside 1/3 cup for topping. In another bowl, combine milk and molasses. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, combine sugar and reserved pancake mix mixture. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Shoofly Coffee Cake in Best of Country Breads 2000, p110
Reviews for Shoofly Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 6, 2010
"If I were to make this again, I would definitely use a LIGHT molassas and check with a toothpick after about 20 min."
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2009
"So easy and so good!"