If you like traditional shoofly pie, the chocolate version is even better! I sometimes serve it with vanilla ice cream, but it’s just as good on its own.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Sprinkle chocolate chips into shell; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Add the baking soda, water, egg and molasses to remaining crumb mixture and mix well. Pour over chips. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Shoofly Pie in Country December/January 2008, p49
Reviews for Shoofly Chocolate Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review