If you like traditional shoofly pie, the chocolate version is even better! I sometimes serve it with vanilla ice cream, but it’s just as good on its own.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Sprinkle chocolate chips into shell; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Add the baking soda, water, egg and molasses to remaining crumb mixture and mix well. Pour over chips. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Shoofly Pie in Country December/January 2008, p49
Reviews for Shoofly Chocolate Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 29, 2010
"I did not care for the combination of chocolate and molasses in this pie. It tasted medicinal to me."