Shipwreck Stew Recipe
I got this recipe from a minister's wife, and I imagine she used it many times at church meetings and gatherings. It is an inexpensive, "stick-to-the-ribs" dinner, and is even better the next day! It's also extremely easy to make.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a 3-qt. baking dish, combine beef mixture with the remaining ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for about 1 hour or until rice and potatoes are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 204 calories, 390 mg sodium, 32 mg cholesterol, 28 gm carbohydrate, 15 gm protein, 4 gm fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC