I almost always prefer sweet over savory but was inspired to try this tart featuring shiitake mushrooms and goat cheese. Refrigerated pie pastry allows for easy assembly.— Karen Watts, Cortlandt Manor, New York
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in butter and oil until tender. Remove from the heat; add the thyme, salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 14-in. circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spoon mushroom mixture over the pastry to within 2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cheese.
Fold up edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze unbaked tart until firm, then cover to store in freezer. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 375°. Place tart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Shiitake & Goat Cheese Rustic Tart in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p160
Reviews for Shiitake & Goat Cheese Rustic Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review