Sherried Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
I stir up a pot of my smooth, spiced sweet potato soup when I want something out of the ordinary for guests. Using an immersion blender will result in a creamier texture.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or just until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, ginger, coriander, cinnamon and cardamom; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- 3. Add cream and sherry; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lime juice. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Garnish with cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC