- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or just until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, ginger, coriander, cinnamon and cardamom; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Add cream and sherry; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lime juice. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Garnish with cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSherried Sweet Potato Soup
"This recipe surprised me as to how very good it was. It sounded good with some interesting possibilities, but it was truly excellent! I couldn't find my cardamom and since it called for only 1/8 tsp., I made the recipe without it, but I discovered every ingredient added to its exquisite flavor, so I can't wait to make the recipe again with the cardamom. You may think the cilantro is only a garnish, but it truly added its own essential flavor, and putting it in the blender before serving is very important. I don't own an immersion blender, but it will be on my Christmas list this year. I rate this a 10 plus."