Shepherd's Pies Recipe
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the beef, onions and garlic in a Dutch oven until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in corn and barbecue sauce.
- Drain potatoes; mash with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Spoon meat mixture into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spread mashed potatoes over tops; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until bubbly. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Reviews for Shepherd's Pies
Sort By :
My husband and I tried this recipe last night and loved it. The barbeque sauce gives it a southern flavor that we both enjoyed and he rated it as a new favorite!
Hit a home-run with this one! Just like the title of the magazine- simple and delicious! However, I didn't make the second one to freeze so I can't speak for the frozen/reheat quality. But fresh was amazing!
This was a slam dunk with the kids!
The barbecue sauce in this gave it a very strange taste.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >