When you need a real meat-and-potatoes fix, try this hearty layered casserole that blends from-scratch mashed potatoes with cream cheese and a meat filling. Your favorite barbecue sauce gives the dish an extra tang. —Cindy Kliskey, Pepperell, Massachusetts
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with
- water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or
- until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, onions and garlic in a Dutch oven until meat is
- no longer pink; drain. Stir in corn and barbecue sauce.
- Drain potatoes; mash with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper.
- Spoon meat mixture into two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Spread
- mashed potatoes over tops; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).