Shepherd's Pies Recipe
When you need a real meat-and-potatoes fix, try this hearty layered casserole that blends from-scratch mashed potatoes with cream cheese and a meat filling. Your favorite barbecue sauce gives the dish an extra tang. —Cindy Kliskey, Pepperell, Massachusetts
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook beef, onions and garlic in a Dutch oven until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in corn and barbecue sauce.
- 3. Drain potatoes; mash with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Spoon meat mixture into two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Spread mashed potatoes over tops; sprinkle with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake 1-1/4 hours or until bubbly. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
1-1/4 cups equals 443 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 820 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC