When you need a real meat-and-potatoes fix, try this hearty layered casserole that blends from-scratch mashed potatoes with cream cheese and a meat filling. Your favorite barbecue sauce gives the dish an extra tang. —Cindy Kliskey, Pepperell, Massachusetts
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the beef, onions and garlic in a Dutch oven until
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in corn and barbecue sauce.
- Drain potatoes; mash with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper.
- Spoon meat mixture into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes.
- Spread mashed potatoes over tops; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and
- freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30
- minutes or until bubbly.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove