Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Instead of using a pastry crust, this recipe creates a savory crust with mashed potatoes. The bacon flavor in the filling is fabulous! Just add a tossed salad or green vegetable and dessert, and you'll have a complete meal that's sure to please your family.—Chris Eschweiler, Dallas, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 5-1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, cook the bacon, onion and oregano until bacon is crisp. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, corn and reserved beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine the mashed potatoes, eggs, butter, parsley and salt. Spread half of potato mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Top with beef mixture and remaining potato mixture.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Brush with butter. Bake 10 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece equals 299 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 514 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC