Shepherd’s Pie Twice-Baked Potatoes Recipe
This spin on stuffed potatoes makes for a filling meal. Serve with a green salad alongside it, and satisfaction is guaranteed even for hearty appetites.—Cyndy Gerken, Naples, Florida
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1. Scrub and pierce potatoes; rub with oil. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, peppers and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Add the mixed vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, steak seasoning, salt, pepper, cayenne and 1 teaspoon paprika. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- 3. When cool enough to handle, cut a thin slice off the top of each potato and discard. Scoop out the pulp, leaving thin shells.
- 4. In a large bowl, mash the pulp with butter. Add the whipping cream, sour cream, cheeses and chives. Mash potatoes until combined. Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into each potato shell; top with 1/2 cup potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining paprika.
- 5. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until melted. Sprinkle with chives. Yield: 6 servings.
1 stuffed potato equals 986 calories, 56 g fat (32 g saturated fat), 183 mg cholesterol, 1,066 mg sodium, 86 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 37 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC