Shepherd's Pie Casserole Recipe
Meet the Cook: As the second oldest of eight children in a busy farm family, I had plenty of opportunity to practice cooking while I was growing up. Now that our three children are grown, I am cooking just for my husband and me - though few weeks pass without visitors. For "country eaters", this hearty pie is perfect! -Diane Gillingham, Carman, Manitoba
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup hot milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef, onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the mushrooms. Cook and stir for 3 minutes; drain. Place the tomato paste in a bowl. Gradually whisk in broth until smooth. Stir in horseradish, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add to meat mixture. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan; set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute the peppers in remaining oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and spoon over meat mixture. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender; drain. Mash with milk, cheese and remaining salt. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potatoes. Spoon over pepper layer. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 20 minutes longer or until meat layer is bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 450 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 861 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC