- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup hot milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 egg whites
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the mushrooms. Cook and stir for 3 minutes; drain. Place the tomato paste in a bowl. Gradually whisk in broth until smooth. Stir in horseradish, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add to meat mixture. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the peppers in remaining oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and spoon over meat mixture. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender; drain. Mash with milk, cheese and remaining salt. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potatoes. Spoon over pepper layer. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 20 minutes longer or until meat layer is bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Shepherd's Pie Casserole
"This was delicious. The change I made was using the whole can of tomato paste and half a cup of horseradish and about 1tbsp mustard .for the veggies I used a can cream corn and some peas and carrots so I omitted the peppers and forgot to buy mushrooms!"
"Great comfort food!"
"SO easy and SO delicious!! This is a perfect fall/winter meal and can be adjusted to be made lighter and healthier. Extra lean ground beef and low fat cheddar cheese. I didn't use the egg as it just doesn't sound right to me."
"This recipe was fantastic! So delicious and flavorful! I added more potatoes and mushrooms to put the casserole into a 13 in. x 7 in. casserole dish. Amazing dish!"
"I don't normally take the time to write a review, but I had to comment on this recipe. It was so tasty! My husband & I fought over the leftovers."