- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (12 ounces) fat-free beef gravy
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Peel and cube the potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Add 1 in. of water to another saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until crisp-tender, about 7-9 minutes. Drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, gravy, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sage, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Drain the potatoes; mash with milk, butter and remaining salt. Spread over meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Shepherd's Pie Bake
"As is, this is good. However, I use the TOH "Ready Gravy Mix" and it takes it to 5 stars! Last night, I used 1.5 lbs of ground elk meat and doubled the gravy-absolutely delicious! I like just a touch more rosemary and I use cheddar rather than parm. Great dish!"
"I didn't have a jar of gravy so I used a packet mix and it turned out fine. I used cheddar cheese on top. Very savory dinner!"
"I make this exactly as it is. It's a favorite and kids love it."
"I love this recipe! I add cheddar instead of parmesan. It's perfect after a day of hunting or fishing in the cold. Hands down in my top 5 favs."
"My husband loved this! added peas and used instant potatoes and it worked great - plus it is easy"