Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 5-1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, cook the bacon, onion and oregano until bacon is crisp. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, corn and reserved beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the mashed potatoes, eggs, butter, parsley and salt. Spread half of potato mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Top with beef mixture and remaining potato mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Brush with butter. Bake 10 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Shepherd's Pie
Sort By :
A great supper! My boys love it and now that one is married his wife has asked for the recipe!!
Great. Everybody loves it. Have made multiple times. Used just regular corn because of picky eaters; used canned diced tomatoes for the tomato sauce and put grated cheddar - 50/50 white and yellow in the potatoes. I too sneak other fresh veggies in the mix if I have them. My non- veggie crew don't even know they are eating zucchini!!!
this dish was okay. my husband really liked it, but I didn't like the flavor that the mexicorn and bacon gave it. Good, but not my fav.
My family loved it! I made this in a casserole dish to accommodate my family's size/appetite and there was none left! They all agreed that I should make this recipe often!
My family loved this recipe. My daughter's especially loved that the crust was also potatoes, rather than most shepherd's pies, where the potatoes are on top. I've made this countless times and there are never any leftovers!