Shepherd's Bean Pie Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh wax beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch julienned strips
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3-1/4 teaspoons dill weed, divided
- 6 ounces cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 7 cups hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1. Place beans and carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the soup, cream, broth and 3 teaspoons of dill. Add the beans, carrots and onion; gently stir to coat. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with the ham, 1 cup cheese and almonds. Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese and dill. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 each: 250 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Shepherd's Bean Pie
"I did not like the flavor of this recipe at all. I do like dill but not in this dish."