Shepherd's Bean Pie Recipe
This comforting casserole is a variation on the traditional English pie. It is chock-full of fresh green and wax beans, carrots, cubed ham and a handful of crunchy almonds in a creamy Swiss cheese sauce. Topped with mashed potatoes, it makes a hearty side dish. -Karen Cleveland, Spring Valley, Minnesota
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh wax beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch julienned strips
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3-1/4 teaspoons dill weed, divided
- 6 ounces cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds
- 7 cups hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- Place beans and carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the soup, cream, broth and 3 teaspoons of dill. Add the beans, carrots and onion; gently stir to coat. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with the ham, 1 cup cheese and almonds. Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese and dill. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Shepherd's Bean Pie in Taste of Home June/July 2002, p29
Reviews for Shepherd's Bean Pie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2010
I did not like the flavor of this recipe at all. I do like dill but not in this dish.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Bean Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >