Shells with Italian Sausage and Ricotta Stuffing Recipe
Brought to you by Johnsonville® Sausage
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) Johnsonville® Mild or Sweet Ground Sausage
- 1 box (12.5 ounces) jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 jars (24 ounces, each) marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, until pork is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.
- 3. Using a pastry brush, coat sides and bottom of a 3-quart baking dish with oil.
- 4. Pour half of the marinara sauce into baking dish. In a large bowl, combine eggs, ricotta cheese, 2-1/2 cups of mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, basil, pepper and prepared sausage. Stuff shells with meat mixture; arrange in baking dish. Pour remaining marinara sauce over shells.
- 5. Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- 6. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC