Sheepherder's Breakfast Recipe
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
Sort By :
"Everybody liked this. We put in as many eggs as people at the table. The cheese isn't optional with my crew. In fact, I ended up using 5 - 6 cups of cheese."
"Absolutely delicious! I substituted sliced sausage links in place of the bacon and was very pleased with the outcome. Since I didn't have any bacon drippings in which to cook the hashbrowns, I used 2 T. of vegetable oil to get them crispy before flipping them. Even my picky eaters enjoyed this!"
"I went with scrambled eggs and it turned out great! Highly recommend."
"I do a very similar recipe, but I cook bacon, add hash browns after cooked, then scrambled eggs last - all in one pan w/o draining! We love it and makes a great breakfast burrito filling with cheese added!"
"Has anyone every made this with scrambled eggs instead of over easy? Just wondering if it can be done and if you cook it longer/different/etc. Thanks!!"