Sheepherder's Breakfast Recipe
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
Sort By :
I do a very similar recipe, but I cook bacon, add hash browns after cooked, then scrambled eggs last - all in one pan w/o draining! We love it and makes a great breakfast burrito filling with cheese added!
Has anyone every made this with scrambled eggs instead of over easy? Just wondering if it can be done and if you cook it longer/different/etc. Thanks!!
My husband and I enjoyed this recipe for dinner. We are vegetarians so I substituted Morning Star soy bacon in the recipe. I will make this recipe again. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Pauletta.
How delicious is this? Was a hit, and a great breakfast for campin.g I didn't use frozen potatoes though, it did take longer to cook but it was fresh. A keeper.
I make this often, when I have leftover ham I chop it and use that instead of bacon. I have also used browned breakfast sausage when I had no bacon or ham.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >