My sister-in-law always made this delicious breakfast dish when we were camping. Served with toast, juice and milk or coffee, it's a sure hit with the breakfast crowd! One-dish casseroles like this were a big help while I was raising my nine children...Now I've passed this recipe to them.
Pauletta Bushnell, Albany, Oregon
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon
- is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or
- until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a
- spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one
- egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes
- are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 278 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 198 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.