- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
Sort By :
"This was delicious! I will definitely make it again."
"I make pretty much this same thing, but I include red, green and/or yellow peppers in it. I also scramble the eggs and stir them into the finished product right before serving. Yummy and easy to make for a crowd."
"I've been making this same dish for years, maybe I got it from TOH, I can't remember. I noticed it wasn't in my recipe box but it is now. I make my own hash browns even though it takes a bit longer and when using bacon I always use a whole pound of thick sliced. When using sausage and there isn't enough fat in the pan, not a problem, I have a bacon grease can with a strainer inset in the top. I add how ever much I think it takes to do the job. My husband likes his eggs cooked over medium, I like mine sunny side up ultra runny with some of the white still clear so I just add my eggs towards the end of cooking time. And I always use a good full 2 cups of cheese. For a change of pace I'll add a couple of diced Serrano peppers, seeds and all, when the potatoes go into the pan and top it off with grated pepper jack and some hot sauce or salsa. The recipe says it serves 10 but only calls for 8 eggs, what gives? I always serve people 2 eggs unless I'm scrambling and then I allow 3 eggs per person."
"Now this is what I call good old timey food. this is what my grandmother made for us . we never left 1 little something on our plates. thanks 4 this DAM good rec. scotty."