Sheepherder's Breakfast Recipe
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast (17)
Sort By :
This has been a breakfast favorite when all six of our kids are home since it was first published in TOH. The only change I make is using the whole pound of bacon since we enjoy the flavor of bacon. It's also a good supper dish.
I made this tonight. It was very easy to make and so delicious!!! My boyfriend requested it after I posted it on FaceBook because it looked yummy and fortunately we had everything to make it already. I would recommend this in a heartbeat and kids would love it as well!!!
I've made this twice now and we love it! Just make sure your hash browns are thawed. The second time I made it they weren't and it got a little more browned than we liked. I'll remember next time to thaw first. Having said that it's a quick, easy and filling meal for breakfast , brunch or even dinner! Great recipe! Thank you!
Just made this for a New Years morning breakfast. YUMMMM!!! It makes a TON and is amazing. No leftovers and we only had 4 eating it...used sausage as all my bacon was frozen and it was still great!!!! This is a keeper for sure.
I made this for dinner one evening and my husband was in all his glory. We used diced ham in which we bypassed the delicious flavor that bacon provides. The dish was so good and hearty.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >