- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
Sort By :
"This was great! I am a huge breakfast fan, so this is a keeper!"
"Loved this dish. Super easy and is great for next morning leftover breakfast, too. The only adjustment I made was cooking the hash browns an extra 5 minutes (I like them crisp) and less time once the eggs are added (I prefer over easy)! Sooo good!"
"This is awesome!!! Made exactly as written, thanks Pauletta :-)"
"Yummy and easy! My pan was only big enough to cook 4 eggs. It turned out well. Enough to serve two adults for two days of breakfast."
"I am single and I made this recipe on the weekend, freeze the leftover portions, and have them for breakfast during the week. The egg holds the hash browns together nicely and they come out of the pan in neat little nests. I am going to try it with homemade sweet potato hash browns, too."