- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
Sort By :
"I am single and I made this recipe on the weekend, freeze the leftover portions, and have them for breakfast during the week. The egg holds the hash browns together nicely and they come out of the pan in neat little nests. I am going to try it with homemade sweet potato hash browns, too."
"I love Taste of Home recipes. They are so practical!"
"While perusing a cookbook he had bought me, my husband found and requested this recipe. We love breakfast for dinner and this was a one pot breakfast that went over very well! This is going into our dinner rotation. Easy to make, minimal dirty dishes, filling, delicious... what more could you ask for!"
"Everybody liked this. We put in as many eggs as people at the table. The cheese isn't optional with my crew. In fact, I ended up using 5 - 6 cups of cheese."
"Absolutely delicious! I substituted sliced sausage links in place of the bacon and was very pleased with the outcome. Since I didn't have any bacon drippings in which to cook the hashbrowns, I used 2 T. of vegetable oil to get them crispy before flipping them. Even my picky eaters enjoyed this!"