- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
Sort By :
"My husband has been making this when he went elk hunting for as long as I've known him and we have been married 55 years! He scrambles the eggs instead of sunny side up. He even taught my dad how to make it over 20 years ago on a hunting trip."
"I guess my skillet wasn't really big enough for this, but I scaled it down a bit and it was SOOOO good! Will definitely be making this often!"
"Not sure how if you use 8 eggs you get 10 servings. I made 10 holes and used 10 eggs. Every one loved it."
"This was delicious! I made it for brunch but it would also make a tasty dinner. Super easy too! I used a whole package of thick cut bacon (who doesn't love extra bacon?). This was also good with a dash of hot sauce."
"This was delicious! I will definitely make it again."