- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
Sort By :
"Not sure how if you use 8 eggs you get 10 servings. I made 10 holes and used 10 eggs. Every one loved it."
"This was delicious! I made it for brunch but it would also make a tasty dinner. Super easy too! I used a whole package of thick cut bacon (who doesn't love extra bacon?). This was also good with a dash of hot sauce."
"This was delicious! I will definitely make it again."
"I make pretty much this same thing, but I include red, green and/or yellow peppers in it. I also scramble the eggs and stir them into the finished product right before serving. Yummy and easy to make for a crowd."