- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
"I also have made this, except with the scrambled eggs. And@countrycritter, I was wondering the same thing. With 8 eggs and 10 servings, 2 somebody's are not getting an egg . LoL"
"I scaled this down for two of us. I will use the entire recipe when the family is here for breakfast. A local restaurant serves a similar breakfast with scrambled eggs. They call it "The Mess" It's a good mess!! '"
"This reminds me of a dish my mom made. I grew up in Texas so I spiced it up a bit with some diced jalape?os."
"My family and I neither liked nor disliked this recipe. I had to modify it because the potatoes stuck to the pan. I scrambled the eggs and poured them on the hash brown mixture."
"Excellent, My husband and I both loved it."