Sheepherder's Breakfast Recipe
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
Sort By :
My husband and I enjoyed this recipe for dinner. We are vegetarians so I substituted Morning Star soy bacon in the recipe. I will make this recipe again. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Pauletta.
How delicious is this? Was a hit, and a great breakfast for campin.g I didn't use frozen potatoes though, it did take longer to cook but it was fresh. A keeper.
I make this often, when I have leftover ham I chop it and use that instead of bacon. I have also used browned breakfast sausage when I had no bacon or ham.
This has been a breakfast favorite when all six of our kids are home since it was first published in TOH. The only change I make is using the whole pound of bacon since we enjoy the flavor of bacon. It's also a good supper dish.
I made this tonight. It was very easy to make and so delicious!!! My boyfriend requested it after I posted it on FaceBook because it looked yummy and fortunately we had everything to make it already. I would recommend this in a heartbeat and kids would love it as well!!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >