Sharp Cheddar Turnovers Recipe
These savory little snacks are so good, it's hard to eat just one! With cheddar cheese peeking out from the golden brown pastry, they're irresistible.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and water until smooth. Gradually beat in flour until blended. Shape into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cheese and 1 egg. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 teaspoon of filling on one side of each circle. Moisten edges; fold dough over filling and press edges together firmly with a fork to seal.
- 3. Place on greased baking sheets. Beat remaining egg; brush over turnovers. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 turnover equals 80 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC