Sharp Cheddar Turnovers
These savory little snacks are so good, it's hard to eat just one! With cheddar cheese peeking out from the golden brown pastry, they're irresistible.
30 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and water until
- smooth. Gradually beat in flour until blended. Shape into a ball,
- then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese and 1 egg. On a lightly floured
- surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured
- 3-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 teaspoon of filling on one side
- of each circle. Moisten edges; fold dough over filling and press
- edges together firmly with a fork to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Beat remaining egg; brush over
- turnovers. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 turnover equals 80 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.