Sharp Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
Try as I might, I can never follow a recipe exactly, so here's what I came up with when I made a family friend's scalloped potatoes in my own kitchen. They’re so awesome, you just keep going back for more. —Susan Simons, Eatonville, Washington
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over
- medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended;
- cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk
- in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2
- minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine cheeses. Layer a third of the potatoes, a
- third of the onions and 3/4 cup cheese mixture in a greased 3-qt.
- baking dish. Repeat layers twice. Pour sauce over top; sprinkle with
- remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or