- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine cheeses. Layer a third of the potatoes, a third of the onions and 3/4 cup cheese mixture in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Repeat layers twice. Pour sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Sharp Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
"Maybe microwave the potatoes a bit - or bake a bit longer."
"Love it, I wish the was a little different. Maybe make enough sauce to put on each layer. defiantly great with the two types of sharp cheddar. I decided not to peal my white potatoes and it came out great."
"Delicious!! Needed to bake probably an extra 5-10 minutes. Potatoes were JUST a bit firm. Great flavor and the smell coming from the oven is to die for!!"
"Very good recipe! And easy to follow! I think next time I will layer the sauce instead of having it all on top"
"This will be my go to recipe for potatoes. So very good! I greased the dish with butter. I didn't change the recipe at all. Delicious just as written."