My family loves spicy foods. I created this recipe so that we could even enjoy some spicy heat in a cookie. If you too enjoy the heat, use the full amount of cayenne pepper.—Shari Upchurch, Dearing, Georgia
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg.
- Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, mustard, white pepper, cardamom, cayenne, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in crystallized ginger. Cover and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Shari’s Extra-Spicy Gingersnaps in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p93
Reviews for Shari’s Extra-Spicy Gingersnaps
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review