Shamrock Pie Recipe
Guests may wonder if the dessert has been touched by a leprechaun when they see the green layer in my lemon meringue pie. Then, after their first taste, they tell me they feel lucky to be enjoying such a dessert!—Gloria Warczak, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 5 to 6 drops green food coloring
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter, lemon peel and food coloring until smooth. Pour hot mixture into crust.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 307 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC