Shamrock Pie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 5 to 6 drops green food coloring
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter, lemon peel and food coloring until smooth. Pour hot mixture into crust.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 307 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (34g sugars, trace fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Shamrock Pie
"Absolutely delicious! Made it for a St. Paddy's day gathering with friends. I'm still working on making my meringues look better, but other than that, it was a fantastic tasting pie."